Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 2016


Hi everyone, 

It's been a year since I wrote an entry but with the New Year coming up, I had an entry to write about. The start of my summer had been wonderful but it got a bit scary. I woke up one morning to put on my processor and everything sounded very muffled - exactly like it sounded when the processor was first activated almost 7 years ago. I thought it was the batteries which I changed and everything went back to normal, I was relieved but within a few days, I was hearing radio static and it was the kind of radio static like you would hear on the tv and it was really loud... Loud and annoying to the point I wanted to shut it off and I did but it didn't make me feel better.... it made me feel scared to not hear anything. 

I scheduled an appointment with my audiologist and I had a great friend that tagged along with me and who kept me company on the bus and metro all the way downtown to my appointment. I was very grateful and appreciative that my friend took the day off to accompany me because I didn't want to go to this meeting alone. When we arrived to the office, I explained to my audiologist the details of what I was experiencing and she had thought it was the coil that was damaged.. and I could finally hear again but it lasted for a day, I went back again to see the problem. My audiologist pinpointed the problem finally, it was the processor acting up and why? Because there was moisture. Where I live, Canada has very hot summers (specifically in Montreal), but this had never happened during the other summers I had the processor. It was also getting old and the heat was too much for the processor, I got a replacement while waiting for my new processor to arrive. I was very grateful to hear everything and everyone around me again, especially my son who is 3 years old. 

My audiologist explained that there was a product that takes out the moisture. I knew about the Zepher box but I had no idea there was a fan that turns on, I bought the product that helps take out the moisture and every night since the last appointment, it had truly made a big difference after a very hot day, I found that it would clear up the sounds everytime I used the dryer box. 

I wanted to share my story with parents of kids who are very active with sports or even the adults who are active with sports, please protect your processors - sweat can get inside your processor and cause problems. It's truly a blessing to hear our friends and family, our processors are important and they should be treated with care. I am grateful for every sound I have been hearing for 7 years and yet still hearing sounds as if it's the first time and wondering those sounds are. It's been an amazing journey and I can't wait to celebrate my ''ear-anniversary'' on January 22nd, 2017 surrounded by my son and family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment