Monday, July 13, 2015

First sounds with the Cochlear Implant

Hi everyone, 

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.  The last entry I had written was about the cochlear implant activation, I hope you enjoyed reading about it - I have gotten many comments on how interesting it was when I described my expectations of the CI, that it takes time for the brain to interpret what I was hearing. I was praised on documenting my incredible journey and I am very proud of all the entries that I've written and that so many friends, family and friends of friends reading my blogs and sharing with their families, friends, and possibly other audiologists and other families who are wrestling with the decision to go for the cochlear implant or not. I promise you that the cochlear implant will be the BEST decision you will ever make for yourself, your life and the lives of your friends and family who want to interact with you - but mostly for yourself if you want to hear the world. 

It had taken me two weeks after receiving the cochlear implant to be able to hear sounds, I was disappointed I didn't hear anything right away but I remained positive - I was going to work hard to achieve my goal at listening and recognizing the sounds no matter how loud they were or how low of a sound they were. The world was muffled for two weeks but the sounds came alive eventually but I still had to keep up with working out adjustments on the CI and work on my speech therapy which as I've said, my speech amazingly gotten better with the CI. If you want the cochlear implant, you have to stay committed and work hard, it takes such hard work and courage to follow through and if you do, I promise that you will feel proud that you sticked through it with the support of friends and family around you. 

Someone asked me recently since getting my cochlear implant, what my favorite sound in the world is. That was an easy question for me to answer because I knew from the moment I heard rain with the CI, it was the most beautiful sound of all to hear the water hitting the streets, the sidewalks, the windows outside of the car, and my hood. My CI isn't water-proof so I have to keep it covered during rain and snow and take it off during showers, just like you would with hearing-aids. It was an amazing experience to hear the rain for the first time 5 years ago, it still is. My other favorite sound is laughter... I love laughing and hearing my family laugh, you can really hear the happiness they are experiencing when they laugh. My family and I have these great family gatherings and laughter is what you will hear during these events, it's still a great feeling to hear them laugh and to laugh along with them! 

Please feel free to join my page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hearnowandalwaysbytrina
This will help you keep updated on new entries that I've written! Click Like and share with your friends and family!

No comments:

Post a Comment