Thursday, July 16, 2015

My positive outlook on life with the Cochlear Implant

Hi!

At the moment, I am listening to music while writing. I know what you must probably be thinking, ''how can she write while listening to music?''. Listening to music while writing is no problem for me - it is rare I will get writer's block and I found a new love in music, I have always loved listening to music  with hearing-aids but I could never really sing along without lyrics and with the cochlear implant, I was able to identify which instruments were being played and what the lyrics were being sung without even needing lyrics! Although with new songs, I will need to read the lyrics and try to memorize those songs which takes a bit of practice with the CI.  The CI really changed my life, it has helped me to understand people better and to enjoy music and live my life being confidant with my speech and hearing, it takes a lot of work but it is a blessing to be able to understand the sounds I'm hearing.  

I forgot which year but it was probably in 2011, I took sign language classes. I had met a new friend who only interacted in sign language and I couldn't interact with her which was because I didn't know any sign language but I found out where I could take sign language classes which I had enjoyed learning! I eventually learned enough signing to interact with her and I felt proud I was able to converse using sign language. Who knew you could use your hands to converse with someone? It's an amazing language! I am grateful my parents put me in a school to learn speech and to be able to talk with me, I know they would've learned sign language if that was their only option but they believed in me that much to learn speech and I did - I am proud of them! I know my siblings would too - I know them having a sister who has always been struggling with her hearing impairment had given them their own views on life and not take their hearing for granted.

I would like to recommend these two shows: Switched at Birth and Sue Thomas: F.B. Eye - both shows star deaf actors, they are both amazing shows but I strongly recommend Switched at Birth as it is a recent show that's been on air since 2011 and you can watch the three seasons on Netflix, you will learn some sign language if you would like to learn and understand the deaf culture a little more.

I would like to also share this video with you that a friend sent me. The girl's name is Heather and many years ago, her story started with a documentary/movie called Sound and Fury. This was a story about deaf families being divided over providing cochlear implants for their children. Heather's family - all Deaf decided to allow her to have one. I enjoyed watching this video and I hope you will too! http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/The-Heather-world-Heather-Artin

No comments:

Post a Comment